Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Mar 3, 2003  3:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Stuck

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, alex69rox <alex69rox@y...> wrote:

> I feel like my voice is stuck and it just wont come out so I have to
> push it out. It feels like something along the way is blocking my
> voice and i have to struggle to get the words out! this probably
> sounds really weird, but I was wondering If anyone can give me some
> help? thanx!

I used to feel this way a lot when I sang. The technical problems that
were causing the "stuck" feeling turned out to be:

Tension in back of tongue

Tension in jaw

Tension in eyes ("deer in headlights" look)

Spreading of mouth (horizontal rather than vertical)

Overcompression through "muscling" (in diaphragm area) of high notes

Not allowing a release in my body at the ends of phrases, thus forcing the
sound to try and keep "spinning" while "locking" the breathing mechanism
that would, in fact, allow it to keep spinning and would automatically
allow more breath to enter.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Modern methods of production have given us
the possibility of ease and security for
all; we have chosen, instead, to have over-
work for some and starvation for the others.
- Bertrand Russell, IN PRAISE OF IDLENESS

emusic.com