Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 3, 2003  3:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Motivation.

Dear Reg et al,
Excellent questions Reg.
************************
Reg: . . . why do we do it? Is it a worthy use of our time? Is it
selfish?
************************
Each of these questions is worthy of its own thread.
Briefly:

Why sing? To share the joy of what we love about it.

Is it a worthy use of our time? Don't most people believe that the
expressive arts are a mark of civilization? If we did not sing
wouldn't the world be less than it is? I can't imagine a world
without singing.

Is it selfish? That depends on the circumstances I suppose. It could
be depending one's motivation but it's usually an expression of
emotion that is a reaching out.
Reg: Why is she, with the poorer voice, so much more confident than I?
There's no accounting for taste. What you consider "poorer" and what
she considers "poorer" may be entirely different things. Maybe she
doesn't share the same aesthetic values that you do? It's all too
subjective a thing to call I expect.
Regards,
Les

emusic.com