Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cindi Waters <musicteachky@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 3, 2003  7:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] whether to choose head or chest voice

Dear blue444xx, "Sapphic Ode" is an absolutely beautiful song. You are asking
opinion about whether or not to use head voice over chest voice in the lowest
note. I can only offer you my thoughts. I believe that if you go into the chest
voice on one low note after singing head voice for the rest of the piece, that
will be jarring and inconsistent. Unless you can execute it in such a way as to
be melding into the rest of the line without jarring the hearer into a "wake-up"
mode. I am a rather low mezzo and rarely, rarely if ever have needed to go into
"chest" tones. My most note-worthy singing (that which people have complimented
me on) has been with my low notes in head voice, because that is how I naturally
sing anyway. That having been said, and your teacher being your teacher, you
must eventually do as an artist what pleases you. Or ... if you must please the
audience, then you must seek to please the audience if there is a comfortable
meeting ground. Hope this helps you make a decision. In summary, you must be
comfortable with your decision, balancing out what pleases you, what pleases
your audience, and what pleases your teacher. Weighing the consequences, you
must let this be your intelligent guide. Cindi from Kentucky P.S. What you might
choose to do now as an artist, you might not do later, let's say in 10 years.

emusic.com