Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  10:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] whether to choose head or chest voice

Dear Blue444xx:
I went into my Brahms lieder and found the original key is D major. The low
note would be A below middle C in that key. I've personally sung this on
several recitals and prefer the mezzo-soprano, contralto, baritone or bass voice
on this piece. Audiences love it! If your teacher prefers the head voice on
this, I'd stick with the head. You might try it both ways for this teacher.
Having not heard your voice on the piece, I'd have to vote with favoring your
teacher's opinion. She or he would be the "outside ears" you are paying to
guide your singing and probably would know best here.
Ed

emusic.com