Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Jun 9, 2000  2:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TECH: Fast vibrato causes?

In a message dated 06/08/2000 11:55:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< > To answer your questions briefly, yes,
> using straight tone (done
> healthily) can help smooth out an unnatural vibrato.
> And, yes, it is possible
> to produce a healthy, straight tone.

I admit, my response was something of a bait. I
personally don't believe that a perfectly straight
tone can be sung with the vocal longevity, range,
volume, and ring to be sustained for 20 or 30 years of
OPERATIC singing over large, modern orchestras -- >>

Operatic singing over a large modern orchestra is not the only valid mode
of singing. (I know you didn't mean it was, Isabelle, but I have a point to
make here.) I would most assuredly not use a straight tone in those
circumstances. However, a straight tone is a perfectly valid choice under
certain circumstances. For example, I just did a performance of the B Minor
Mass. The conductor requested a straighter tone in the Agnus Dei. Over the
relatively small orchestration used in that piece, a straighter tone allowed
me to find a very nice balanced sound that worked very well with the violins
in the accompaniment. Singing with a full released vibrato made my sound too
heavy for that particular piece. On the other hand, I did not try to use a
straight tone in the Qui Sedes, and again, found a sound that worked very
well with the oboe.
I guess this is the vocal equivalent of situational ethics. Situational
vibrato? :-) A straight tone can be sung in a healthy way under the right
circumstances. But again, I wouldn't try it in Wagner.
By the way, the performance of the Bach went beautifully. If anyone
wants to check out the review, it can be found at
http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/local/winston/bach05.htm.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com