Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  3:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the purpose(s) of church singing

Dear S O,
Unfortunately the "section leader" position is often too political. I'd say if
you can avoid as much of the politics as possible, you'll enjoy this for a long
time!
If the choirmaster, director of music, organist-choir director does their job
your solo will dovetail with the lessons of the day. This is less important in
some denominations but pretty high on the list for Episcopalians, Lutherans,
Moravians and some Catholics.
Ed
s o <diana_92024@y...> wrote:Hi there,

I do appreciate your comments about church singing and
they are definitely well worth the consideration. I
have been hired by a church to be the head soloist. I
am not a member of this church, but I must say during
the process of getting this job it took a great deal
of ego and a great deal of performance to get the job.
By the way, this was my first professional audition
and my first professional hire.

Now that I am the soloist I have found the need to
take my singing to the next level. Which is people
who do come to services look for encouragement within
the music. So, when the soloist is singing the
soloist or choir must feel and understand the words
that they are singing and be encouraged by the
message. All of this involves a certain amount of
ego. I agree this has become less of a performance.
Hopefully I can give the congregation a form of
encouragement that just happens to go with the sermon.

Just my two cents.

emusic.com