Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider23@r...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  3:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the purpose(s) of church singing

Dear Dr. Diane,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for stating your feelings so well. You have
helped me to solidify my own opinions. I have spent some years singing in
various houses of worship, as well as listening to cantors and choirs in my
own synagogues. I am usually in total agreement with Karen M. about so many
things, but here I have to disagree. On this point, for example:

> > Attempting to improve a singer's technique just to make her more
pleasant for her colleagues or even the congregation at large to listen to
is NOT an acceptable motivation in this situation.

I love how you addressed this. I might add that if a congregant is not in
the choir, he is singing as part of the congregation and for his own
worship. If he has a terrible voice or you don't like the way he sounds, sit
further away from him. BUT if we're talking about a choir member, what is
the point of having a choir if they don't sound any better than the
congregation? A cantor once complained to me that the congregation in her
synagogue wanted to sing congregationally with every piece of music. She
said to me, "But when does it get elevated?" A cantor/choir doesn't exactly
pray in place of the congregation, but represents it, leads it and hopefully
sets a spiritual AND expressive example, as well as serving to spiritually
and emotionally move the congregation, enhancing the worship experience. The
more technique at his disposal, the better the singer can accomplish these
ends. I think that any choir conductor who would like to present his gifts
to the Diety (as well as the choir's) by leading a choir is only hampered in
this goal by having a choir member who is not capable of becoming an
integral part of the instrument (the choir).

I didn't mean to get off on a rant here . . . Thanks for listening.

Susan Schneider

emusic.com