Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 28, 2003  2:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Church Choir Alto Issue: i.e. Short-Ranged Sopranos Aren't Altos...

Hi, Peggy!
As always, you're on top the the correct answers! Your statement:
"Both my church and community choir directors welcome short sopranos as altos.
I think this works as long as there are a few genuine mezzo voices in the
section to center the section's tone."
Reality is there are NO mezzos in my friend's faux-alto section or mine! The
tone disappears. The alto part seems to be there, but you can't put your finger
on it. We have no section-leader budget so we can't "import" the Crayola Crayon
someone left out of our box! The alto section falls apart if the
organist-choirmaster can't sing "Aunt Louise" during critical parts of the
anthem! (Yes, Tako, that's my other name for my "bargain basement
counter-tenor"!)
Vocalises are my only "oasis in the desert" at this point, but imagery like
"Mother Earth" might have a snowball's chance in Hades if I were dealing with
heavy voices. Buddy's are, from what he tells me, exactly the same. These
ladies are wonderful, sweet Christian folks, but they haven't mastered matching
tones as they have china patterns...
Ed

emusic.com