Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  5:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Support and Lowered Larynx

In a message dated 2/26/2003 8:08:45 PM Central Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:

> would disagree with the statement that "closure is a natural event in
> phonation if the exhalation corresponds with a descended diaphragm." I can
> do as much as anyone on keeping my diaphragm low (which is only a little,
> really), but that doesn't make the vocal process come together, or make
> medial compression. That's the job of the internal muscles of the larynx.

To believe that focusing on breathing without focusing on the prephonatory
tuning of the folds is one of the most misguided aspects of the vast majority
of teachers. While too much airflow can cause the folds to blow open to
ameliorate the pressure or lead to recruitment of extrinsic musculature to
resisist it, the narrowness of the gap before the breath is released will
almost universally dictate how much air is needed to induce the Bernoulli
effect using intrinsic muscles. For a good example of this access the
article on postoperative posture memory on my website at <A
HREF="www.speechlevelvoice.com">
www.speechlevelvoice.com</A>

randy buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22926 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Thu  2/27/2003
emusic.com