Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  3:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] New file uploaded to vocalist-temporary

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, John Link <johnlink@n...>
wrote:
> The two files I just uploaded are recordings of me singing in a
> bizarre way that I heard from a soprano that auditioned for me
> recently. Obviously I will not invite her into the group! I have
> heard sopranos sing this dreadful way before, and I'm curious about
> just what it is that they are doing. Can anybody give a description
> of what is happening?

Hi, John and Listers

These two examples sound to me like a game I played (many) years ago,
when my young friends and I would play 'Army' or 'WWII Air Force' and
imitate vocally the sounds of machine guns in battle.

I think the effect you demonstrate is a repeated glottal stop/pop
done at a volume/flow level just above that of vocal fry, by a
rhythmic flex/release of the inter-arytenoids. To my ear, its quite
like the classic 'clearing of the throat' grind, with a pulse.

Without hearing the actual sound of the singer, its difficult to know
for sure. There could be many reasons. Its entirely possible that
this kind of vocalization could be the result of a massively bad
teaching, or even some sort of neurological condition or muscle
atrophy or other problem affecting the vocal process.

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com