Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  2:04 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Support and Lowered Larynx

Earl,

Thanks for the discussion. I am sorry we never had any vocal ped classes
together at TCU.

I would disagree with the statement that "closure is a natural event in
phonation if the exhalation corresponds with a descended diaphragm." I can
do as much as anyone on keeping my diaphragm low (which is only a little,
really), but that doesn't make the vocal process come together, or make
medial compression. That's the job of the internal muscles of the larynx.
To focus on closure doesn't risk glottal attacks, in my opinion. Singing
onsets is really focusing on closure (in part), and actually can help
students recognize glottal stops in their singing, so they can avoid them.
Glottal stops are mostly a timing issue; if the breath starts after the
cords have come together, then you get the 'pop' of a glottal attack.

I do agree that singing a slightly louder sound is the way for most singers
to get better closure. There is no point in telling them to get their cords
to approximate better. There is no reference point for them.

I think we probably see more eye to eye than these discussions make it
appear. Before summer, I will make it a point to come to your "neck of the
woods" and we can have lunch, or something. For those of you following this
thread (and still reading), Earl and I went to college together at Texas
Christian University, and studied vocal pedagogy with Vincent Russo. Earl
has a great, pointed tenor singing voice. I am glad to have e-run into him
again.

Thanks for the talking...it's good to hash these things out.

David Grogan
Longview, Texas