Vocalist.org archive

From:  patricia.m.smith@j...
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  12:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grammys & Freedom of choice!

I don't know how many of you are aware of how radio stations go about
deciding what music to play/promote. A friend of mine worked for a number
of years at what was, at least at that time, the largest Christian
station between Indy & Memphis. I had questioned him why the Christian
radio stations were only playing the same songs over & over & only by
certain singers &/or bands. His response was that the radio stations
played what the record companies gave them to play. The radio station
would receive tapes/CDs from the record labels with 2-3 songs from a
particular artist. Of course, these were the artists/songs that the
record labels wanted to promote because they thought they were the ones
that would get the most people to buy their recordings. I have to believe
that most of the record labels work this way.

So, in my convuluted way of thinking, the record companies are not only
trying to make money, they are trying to dictate what everyone listens
to. That strikes me as a form of censorship or even brainwashing. The
further dumbing down of America. AAAGH!! Thank goodness that there are
still some record stores selling music from every era that has been
recorded.

Pat

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:26:41 -0000 "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
writes:
> Recent discussion of the Grammys seems to have highlighted how
> recording
> companies have dictated what a lot of the tastes in music should be,
> and
> that the reasons for this are to do with commercial risk analysis.

AND

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:28:17 -0500 "CUBETA, Jeff" <cubeta@p...>
writes:
> But I digress, how can a child understand that the very music that
> is saturating the airwaves every day is trash? ...Especially when
> this child has no exposure to instruments, or when he or she never
> discovered his/her own singing voice in elementary school? After
> all, researchers agree, a child's musical aptitude is best shaped
> before the age of nine. Elementary school music programs must,
> then, be the bare essentials of a music curriculum since they help
> to establish a child's inner ear through repetivite singing,
> movement, etc.
>
> Combine an older, musically-untrained child's lack of musical
> independence with the music industry's (and it IS just that - an
> industry, for profit - just like the news media) savvy knowledge
> that sensationalized/video-drenched/3.5-minute displays of sex sell,
> and you end up in our current situation: children staring slack-jawed
> at a tawdry, un-fun, mind-numbingly redundant grammy "awards" show.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

emusic.com