Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Thu Feb 27, 2003  12:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Support and Lowered Larynx

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Reed" <colin-
reed@l...> wrote about an exercise to experience the activity of the
diaphragm.

Howdy, Listers! The Ice is beginning to melt in Dallas, and at any
moment I expect the phones to start working again. ;-) That means,
its time to chime in on this thread. WARNING to the faint-hearted!
I will actually describe step-by-step how I teach breathing to a
beginning singer. I readily admit that there are many other ways to
do this.

While I absolutely like the term 'Breath Management' because that's
what the result is, I tend to like the the term 'Support' because it
carries with it the sense of energetic assistance required by the
voice, and also seems to be a nice, sturdy word that goes with the
feelings. My teaching approach with beginners is to showthem /
tellthem / havethemdo when it comes to these coordinations of muscle
actions, so that they learn for themselves a particular set of muscle
feelings and the words that they can use to discuss those feelings
with me. I also _always_ explain why these actions (and the
associated feelings) are important for their singing.... what the
benefits will be to the achievement of their vocal goals when they
learn to coordinate these muscle actions.

I believe that the student benefits from a reasonable understanding
of muscle action. The muscle actions involved in support are an
excellent example of that. So, first, I ask them what they know about
breathing while singing. Very many of them have a vague idea of what
the diaphragm is, where it is, and what it does. Many know the word.
This idea is mostly impressions, and very often incorrect to a
greater or lesser extent.

So, I tell them what it is, where its located, and what happens when
it flexes... how it affects the flow of air into the lungs, and also
_why_. That description takes all of 90 seconds. Then, I have them
lay down on their back on the floor (I have a comfy little pillow
just for this) and I have them put a medium-weight book flat on top
of their belly-button, and a hand on top of it. I tell them to feel
it move while they breathe in and out, and to tell me what they feel.
Then, I tell them _why_ it moves the way it does, that the action of
the diaphragm is moving the organs of the abdomen, and the tummy
moves as a result.

Now, to decouple the flexing of the diaphragm from the inhalation, I
have them complete an inhalation, and then try to 'just keep
breathing in, ever so gently', keeping the book lifted while THEY
count to 10, slowly and at medium volume. We repeat this a few times,
then we replace the book with one of their hands pressing down, and
repeat a few more times.

Notice something here: Its impossible for the student to continue
to 'breathe in' while they are counting. BUT, if they are still
attempting to 'lift' the book (or their hand), while talking, they
will be keeping their diaphragm activated while the air is flowing
out, during the actual phonation.

If you try this exercise, please be sure that the student is not
trying to lift their head or chest. You do not want them flexing the
abdominal muscles into some demi-situp.

Best regards,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com