Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  10:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Support and Lowered Larynx

Deborah, I'll describe to you what I do.

First, my day begins with "lip buzzes". I find lip trills
particularly unhelpful unless these is some confusion
here as well. The soft closed lips with a gentle hum
up and down the range from a supported position.
This gently starts the larynx on its daily chores.

Of course that pre-supposes you grasp the idea of
support as I see it.

This begins with the firmly raised rib cage. Without
this you have NO firm support for the inter-costal
muscles that are suspended from the lower ribs.

When you inhale you will feel the front of the tummy
between the bottom of the ribs and the belly-button,
extend outward. This is the gentle or very firm feeling
which is usually called support. Unfortunately there
are other aspects, as Les' rejection of the term
implies. This has to do with the changes in the STILL
lower part of your tummy as the breath is slowly used
in the process of singing.

If you are barely conscious of the outward flow of the
breath in the area of the upper lip and front of the mouth,
you are probably singing with the correct air flow. If not,
then you need to experiment with these feelings until
you arrive at what you have reason to believe is a good
relaxed tone and a technique that support your desire
to sing with ease and legato.

Next lecture.... MOTIVATION. :) Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22931 Re: Support and Lowered Larynxlestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Thu  2/27/2003
22961 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Fri  2/28/2003
22989 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxPatt Sealypds_w Fri  2/28/2003
22992 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  3/1/2003
22966 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxReg Boyletranquil2404 Fri  2/28/2003
22983 Re: Support and Lowered Larynxlestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Fri  2/28/2003
emusic.com