Vocalist.org archive

From:  Earl Presley <egpburk@s...>
Date:  Wed Feb 26, 2003  2:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Support and Lowered Larynx

Support is derived from the isometric tension between the descended diaphragm
and exhalation for phonation. Go back to your Vennard "Mechanism of Singing".
I know you have one.
Earl Presley
David Grogan <dgrogan@e...> wrote:Hi, Deborah (and others)

Deborah wrote:

I am curious about any comments people may have about the concept of
"Support" in singing.

There seems to be two schools of thought here, one being that support
includes a full lung of air supposed downward pressure and expansion of the
lungs. The other is a full lung of air and expansion of lungs with a
contraction of muscels in the region of lower abs. I think they are called
transverse obliques and one other group of muscles that I just forget the
name of at present.

David here:
Support doesn't mean much if the vocal folds do not resist the air flow.
There is antagonism between the exhalation muscles (abdominals, internal
intercostals) and the closing of the glottis. Getting the right balance and
timing of these muscles is the goal of the onset exercises we just talked
about on this list.

Deborah again:

We also have a sudden rush of teachers here back into descending larynx. And
very dropped jaws any opinions on these things anybody?

David here:

I don't feel comfortable about "very" dropped jaws, but I do believe in a
slightly lowered larynx. I think it is important to note to the students
that this must be a _relaxed_ feeling, and not a _forced_ one. By relaxing
the muscles above the hyoid bone (essentially the tongue, jaw and neck), the
larynx is allowed to achieve a position that is better for phonation. Of
course, any good thing can be overdone, and moderation is important.

My 2 cents,
David Grogan
Longview, Texas

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22864 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxDavid Grogan  Wed  2/26/2003
22885 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxEarl Presleyretromusician Thu  2/27/2003
22889 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxDavid Grogan  Thu  2/27/2003
22872 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxDeborah Spencersingsoprano2003 Wed  2/26/2003
22881 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxReg Boyletranquil2404 Wed  2/26/2003
22931 Re: Support and Lowered Larynxlestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Thu  2/27/2003
22961 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Fri  2/28/2003
22989 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxPatt Sealypds_w Fri  2/28/2003
22992 Re: Support and Lowered LarynxLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  3/1/2003
emusic.com