Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  6:51 pm
Subject:  Re: Grammys

Michelle Albert <drama_diva_au@y...> wrote at length, but with more
sadness than rancor:

>I honestly thought the Grammies were appalling. I was actually sickened by the
fact that the so-called musical world that it supposedly represents has truly
descended to the lowest common denomenator. I had to ask my daughter who people
were. Avril Lavagne, I had heard of her but never heard the child perform
before. Is this what it's come to? Some seemingly barely
pubescent teen, intoning a three note dirge in a dull, lifeless unexceptional
voice, her hair obscuring all of her face save a pair of eyes so caked with
black you could be forgiven for thinking she was a three year old playing with
her mummy's makeup kit.

Michelle, it's not that I particularly like most of the most presented on the
Grammies - but let's face it. Speaking for myself, at over 50, I don't think
they're going for my tastes, but for teenagers, who absolutely DON'T WANT to
admit is good anything that their parents like. It was true for Elvis, and for
the Beatles, etc., etc. It so happens the Beatles wrote great songs, and I
don't hear too many great songs nowadays, but I think that's just chance (or
prehaps design - if parents like nice tunes, the kids will like the exact
opposite).

As to Ms. Lavigne - from what I've read about her, she's popular with kids these
days because she's the anti-Brittany/Christina. And frankly, I think that's a
step in the right direction. Anything's better than encouraging pre-pubescent
girls to dress and act like sex-pots. Visually, she reminds me a little of the
folkies in the sixties with the long-straight hair covering their faces.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com