Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  7:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Digest Number 1456

In a message dated 2/24/2003 11:50:57 AM Central Standard Time,
LesTaylor@a... writes:

> Randy had mentioned a bottom-up, grass-roots type change looming on
> the horizon. I hope he's right. Who knows? It may come from an
> entirely new direction?!?!? I worry though, because it sure seems
> that the great recording houses have all the control because they
> have the power and the money. They also have the public brainwashed
> into thinking that they're really interested in protecting
> intellectual property when they're really out to protect their
> profits. The law is on their side and they are not accountable to
> anyone. Kinda reminds me of that movie with Jeff bridges where he
> tries to market a new car but the big manufacturers sabotage his
> business. What was the name of that show?

New popular music trends always come up from underground... rock did as did r&
b, grunge and rap.... I guess one could look at rap as surplanting rock and r&
b as the popular force but I don't buy into that. The fact that musically it
is built on samples of other sources just emphasizes how dead the genre is to
me.

Yes, corporations are dictating taste to a certain degree and that's what
happened right before rock and roll hit. Pop was pretty lame at that point,
something new comes along and then unfortunately because of momentum the
record complanies seize it and commercialize it. Something new will come
along but I have no idea what it is.

Pop music now sounds so cliched. All the territory that can be mined from
its influences has been mined. It reminds me of the musicals written in the
50s and 60s that still had an old school influence (hello dolly, music man,
etc) they sound incredibly cliched. It took the introduction of rock (JC
superstar, etc) to bring a freshness to it.

Whenever something seems as stale as rock, pop, r&b seem now it's a sign that
something new is around the corner. Let's just hope it's interesting.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22841 Re: Digest Number 1456Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Mon  2/24/2003
22867 Re: Digest Number 1456Cindi Watersmusicteachky Wed  2/26/2003
emusic.com