Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Fri Feb 21, 2003  4:18 pm
Subject:  A singing book for your library

I was digging around through publishers and bookstores online, and
found out that you can get Lilli Lehmann's book 'How to Sing' for
6.95! Its a great book to have, even if you find some approaches with
which you may disagree.

I read this book in grad schoool (ca. 1977) and I still use the
exercises she recommended to prepare a voice which is slightly
indisposed on the day of performance. She presents it as a case
study, for a particular singer who started the day in fairly bad
vocal shape & how, through the course of the day, he became prepared
to perform.

Pedagogically, she was one of the principal practitioners
of 'placement', even to the point of printing in the book a diagram
of the 'points of inpingement' of the vowels on the palate, and in
the head. Its from her that I learned that these sensations are quite
real to the singer, where they are likely to be, when they might
move, and roughly how singers may experience them.

All the best,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com