Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser <Steve.Fraser@j...
Date:  Fri Feb 21, 2003  3:59 pm
Subject:  Re: Question about legato

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "lestaylor2003
<LesTaylor@a...>" <LesTaylor@a...> wrote:

> I sometimes ask my students to sing a song using only the
> vowels, seamlessly "dovetailing" one vowel into its successor. It's
> pretty strenuous at first but well worth the effort to learn.
****************************

I sure agree with you, Les, on the value of this exercise, and its
challenges for those who first try it. But the benefits,
WOW! If any singer is 'just singing the words' and not choosing
the specific vowels they should produce, this exercise immediately
shows that to the ear of the teacher. As a byproduct, the student
learns to think about a sequence of specific vowel formations in the
phrase, and the teacher can focus the attention to overall vowel
forms, and to specific colors as required.

Way cool, Les.

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com