Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Feb 19, 2003  4:44 pm
Subject:  Re: RE: [vocalist] The Music Man

<<I enjoyed what I watched, but just couldn't enjoy Matthew Broderick in the
main role. >>

Agreed. He comes across as just too adolescent for me. He doesn't have the
voice, the energy or the sheer physical presence for the role of Harold Hill.
He just can't muster the swagger and masculinity that Preston brought to the
role.

<<I could never find Robert Preston remotely attractive>>

I didn't find him attractive either (he seemed a tad "long in the tooth" for
the role to me), but I still found him 100% convincing.

<<Does anyone know how much manipulation is typical for these sorts of
things.>>

According to a friend who was married for many years to one of the most
recorded classical singers of the last few decades, (and who was present for
most of his recording sessions) a lot. But you would have to be there--or be
intimately acquainted with the state of an individual singer's instrument at
the time--to have any idea of what has been manipulated and what has not.
Sometimes singers are capable of things in the studio (where they're under
less pressure than in live performance) that they would never dare to attempt
on the stage. So some things that sound absolutely phenomenal on recordings
are real, whereas others have been achieved through splicing etc.

Judy

emusic.com