Vocalist.org archive

From:  "eren_aydiw <eren.aydin@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 18, 2003  10:28 am
Subject:  PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Vienna 17. February 2003

Everyone was so excited about tonight. Yet it turned out to be a
catastrophe. La Favorite; a great opera by Donizetti. Beautiful
music. A good orchestra conducted very well by Fabio LUISI.
Leonor sung by Violetta URMANA. Before the performance the
director has informed that she is ill but sang very well. Though not
the perfect voice for Leonor. She has a beautiful voice but La
Favorite is more Verdi than Donizetti. And her voice faded behind the
music at some points. Even if it didn't, her voice wasn't fully
there. The illness may have an effect on that. I'd rather listen
Dolora ZAJICK singing the role.
Fernand was sung by Giuseppe SABBATINI. The voice was often flat.
Even though he has the high notes he had a terrible intention of
going into falsett which was not a good idea at all. And when he sang
the high notes with full voice they were too narrow. He was singing
as if he didn't want to sing tonight. No power. No passion in his
voice. He gave a quite boring performance tonight. Also not good for
the role. Though I can't seem to think of anyone who could sing it
these days. Where is Miguel FLETA?
Alphonse was Carlos ALVAREZ. He saved the night. I was starting
to think he was loosing his voice last season after he sang all the
Don Carlo's but tonight he was fully on stage. The voice was there.
Healthy. Good for the role. Big sound.
The worst thing about the night was of course the production
itself. Directed by John DEW. Scenery Thomas GRUBER. Costume
Jose-Manuel VASQUEZ. These three charlatans have made the possible
success, a sucksess. The horrible scenery was marking the singers
with the silly tv screens showing some kind of sea in a white room.
Or the ridicolous huge crown in the background which would stay other
way around in each scene.
I haven't seen such an amature direction in my life. Not even in a
kindergarten theatre. Who gave this guy the oppurtunity to direct an
opera? Vienna is getting lost.
And the costume designer... Was he stoned when he designed? Some
costumes were from the correct time whereas in some scenes it felt
like catwalk 2003. I think the guy is really confused. They all got
what they deserved but not enough. Lots of Boooo. What I don't
understand is how can these undeveloped human beings do bussiness in
such big houses. Public don't want them, the artists don't want them.
So who does? The director of the opera? Hollywood is paying millions
of dollars to get a movie right, in the original costumes and
scenery, and these dumpsters are going with the not cheap but ugly
scenery and costumes. Who is gonna stop the maddness? Another unhappy
night at the opera.. After the first bow half of the house was
empty... Sad... Just sad...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22728 PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!eren_aydiw <eren.aydin@a...>eren_aydiw Tue  2/18/2003
22754 Re: PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Wed  2/19/2003
22755 Re: PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!Dean FH Macy  Wed  2/19/2003
22783 Re: PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!eren_aydiw <eren.aydin@a...>eren_aydiw Thu  2/20/2003
22784 Re: PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!!Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Thu  2/20/2003
22785 PREMIERE LA FAVORITE!!Eren AYDIN <eren.aydin@a...>eren_aydiw Thu  2/20/2003
emusic.com