Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Sun Feb 16, 2003  6:07 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] alcohol-based gels

This is not the same. Antibacterial soaps usually have an antibiotic
compound, such as, Triclosan or some similar product which inhibits an
enzyme used in fatty acid synthesis in bacteria. Because it works inside
the bacterial cell on intermediary metabolism it can be overcome by changes
in the enzyme.

Alcohol dissolves the cell wall of bacteria producing essentially instant
death. The gel allows it to remain on the hands slightly longer than liquid
alcohol and prevents spills from spreading and becoming a fire hazard.
Bacteria have no way of preventing this so it does not lead to resistance.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com