Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...>
Date:  Sat Feb 15, 2003  11:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] dead or alive

Also, many folk musicians do not make their living playing music, telling
stories, quilting, or woodworking. But these traditions - art forms - are
very alive and well.

EXACTLY! I was trying to think of a way to put this idea into words this very
morning! Some people have a problem with "art for the sake of the art." Like
my CPA husband--who has a hard time understanding why I would spend time
teaching music to children when I don't make all that much money-per-hour. Or
why I would perform in a community theatre production. He actually has a
problem with me doing community theatre because they don't pay me. They don't
pay anybody...we do it because we love it, for the sake of the art. But he just
doesn't get it and never will. And lucky for me I don't care what he thinks.
It is not all about money. Just because someone makes money doing something
doesn't mean they are all that good at it. I have known some really crummy
physicians who made lots of money, and some really caring, compassionate,smart
ones who cared more for their patients than the business end of things. And the
practice of medicine, like music, is an art.
Just because the populous is wild for a particular style of music doesn't make
it good music, either. Only time will tell what will actually transcend time and
become a classic. So the way I see it, some of what is "popular" at this time
is probably dead already and just doesn't know it......
Leslie

emusic.com