Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Sat Feb 15, 2003  11:14 pm
Subject:  dead or alive

Randy,

How do you define an art form as dead or alive? What art form do you
consider alive and why? I find it interesting that only 104 opera singers
made enough money to support themselves. I wonder how the stat would change
if you included other classical (or formal - I liked that definition) gigs
like church work, recital,or oratorio. I'd be interested to know how many
musical theatre performers supported themselves solely on their performance
salaries. Depending on the recording contract, obviously lots of money can
be made in pop music. How many pop singers supported themselves with their
performance earnings?

Visual artists are very often subsidized. Do you consider that art form
dead? How many artists support themselves on their art?

Also, many folk musicians do not make their living playing music, telling
stories, quilting, or woodworking. But these traditions - art forms - are
very alive and well.

So again, how do you define it? Also, I'm not being snide or sarcastic, I
really want to know.
Jean Marie

22702 Re: dead or aliveLeslie Christopher  Sat  2/15/2003
22708 Re: dead or aliveKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Sun  2/16/2003
22711 Re: dead or aliveColin Reedcolinreeduk Mon  2/17/2003
22737 Re: dead or alivepatricia.m.smith@j...  Wed  2/19/2003
emusic.com