Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Fri Feb 14, 2003  3:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] classical music today...

Yes, I watched Christina Aguilera on the Today Show this morning in dismay -
probably the best voice in the pop world right now, but what is she focusing on?
How naked she can be. Says it's an empowering thing for her but man, it
detracts from what is really a powerful instrument that could BE something.

Christine Thomas
Voice Studio of Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

"If you look goofy, you probably sound goofy."
--Marianna Busching
Many performers (I hesitate to call them "artists") rely on gimmicks to cozen
generally vocally ignorant public. Flash a little belly button;
squeal, sigh, coo, grab your crotch, simulate an orgasm and you can
fool a lot of the people a lot of the time. And finally, if they
can't sing, they can always "tweak it in the studio"! And then their
fans wonder why they don't sound so hot live. Hey, there's no
accounting for taste, right?

emusic.com