Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Feb 12, 2003  10:16 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Correct speaking-question for Dr. Diane!!

Since the same instrument is used to speak and sing, it stands to reason that
one will tend to
have the same habits in both acts. One's concern, then, should be to cultivate
those habits that
one desires to have present in both acts.
> ----------

and that "darned ole jaw!" If singers have jaw tension because we use the jaw
for support/articulation, then doesn't it stand to reason that we would also
have jaw tension in our speech? And if so, wouldn't this make it more difficult
to get rid of, since we speak more than we sing? Should those of us who deal
with jaw tension deal with it even when we are NOT singing? I have actually
done away with a great deal of tension in my singing voice in the the past few
months, mainly jaw, so I am pretty paranoid about keeping it gone...

> Funny this came up, as I have really been "studying" on it lately!

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu