Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Feb 12, 2003  8:02 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Correct speaking

Alex wrote:

> I am a barritone, I have been taking voice lessons for 6 months:
>
> Everytime I start speaking like my voice teacher tells me to, I sound
> really weird, like Michael Jackson lol. I was just wondering if I
> must speak in such a high (girly) tone to preserve my voice? thanks!

+++

I doubt seriously that your voice teacher is asking you to speak in a high,
girlish voice. More likely, she/he is asking you to speak with better phonation
and resonance, good breath support, more varied inflection, longer vowels, and
crisper consonants -- all of which are characteristics of good speakers, as well
as good singers. When you bring these good vocal habits into your speaking
voice, it makes your speaking voice sound more musical, and this may seem
strange to your ear at first, since it's not the way you are used to speaking or
hearing yourself. You can have these vocal characteristics at any pitch range
in the voice, but if you are used to speaking in a low range only, your teacher
may be encouraging you to explore the rest of your range. I often have to do
this with students in my speech class, who think they have only a three-note
range! And very few of them think they are singers. By the time I finish with
them, they have a whole different understanding of their vocal instrument, even
if they use it only for apeaking.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22617 Re: Correct speaking-question for Dr. Diane!!Leslie Christopher  Wed  2/12/2003
22620 Re: Correct speaking-question for Dr. Diane!!Clark_Diane  Wed  2/12/2003
emusic.com