Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  4:02 pm
Subject:  Re: Onsets

Dear Lloyd, et al,
Lloyd: I borrow from Richard Miller and his definition that as the
male chest voice is sung higher and higher it reaches a level at
which the vocal quality becomes like that of the "calling" voice.
The term "calling voice" is confusing to me. I'm not quite sure what
it is. Please help me understand. Thanks.
Lloyd: The first appearance of this "call" voice is defined as the
lower beginning of the passaggio or First Passaggio point ("Primo
Passaggio").
IOW, the emergence of the "calling voice" defines the beginning of
the Primo Passaggio?

Comment: My experiences confirm that there is a zone of roughly a
major fourth where the passaggio occurs. This span and its position
on the scale usually varies a little depending on the vowel but is
pretty much as you described it.

My first teacher, Madam Bela Resek (MSRIP), taught me in the old
style but the terms she used often left me puzzled and wondering what
was wrong with me; "Push with the diaphragm.", "Place the tone in the
masque.", etc. I don't see that the term "calling voice" is any
different than the terms she used. I'm sure it's important to know.

You may take me to task for saying this (I hope you don't) but this
is precisely where description of anatomic function fails us. In
order to be able to control a "calling voice", we have to sense it
first.

I have certain principles by which I live, teach and learn that have
never failed me. They are these:
"You cannot control what you cannot perceive."
"Any process must be documented if we are to make sense of it."
"If it ain't essential, don't do it."

Believe me, I am a very methodical and pragmatic person but when we
are dealing with what we do with our bodies, we have to somehow
connect what we sense to what we understand with our intellect. The
more lucid and simple that understanding, the better.

I'd bet a sound clip here would solve the whole shebang for me.

Thanks for your patience with me Lloyd.
Respectfully,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22594 Re: OnsetsLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Tue  2/11/2003
emusic.com