Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  3:16 pm
Subject:  Re: struggling pauper

>Things are
>going very well except, I don't feel that my voice is very
>consistent. One practise I can sing with no problem and the next I'm
>struggling. I have taken some voice lessons in the passed but really
>didn't fell that they helped me . Of coarse I didn't attend for long
>because I don't have the money. I sing all the time. I guess my
>question is, How do I become a more consistent and stong singer while
>keeping a pretty limited budget?

Welcome to the list!

The best solution is to get professional instruction, but since you
can't afford that right now, I suggest paying closer attention to the
times you feel good vs. when you're struggling. It seems possible to
me that when you're feeling comfortable in practice, you might overdo
it, and then have a hard time the next practice. It might help to
keep a practice diary in which you note the date, length of
rehearsal, and how your voice feels. Look especially for moments
when you start feeling tired or when your voice starts to behave less
consistently. If you can get really tuned into where your voice
turns the corner from feeling comfortable to feeling raspy (or tired
or inconsistent) then you can take steps to protect yourself. Bottom
line: when your voice feels tired, the healthiest thing to do is stop
singing.

I hope this helps!
Naomi
--