Vocalist.org archive

From:  "razor8882003 <decentefsci@h...
Date:  Mon Feb 10, 2003  11:01 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Is there a "mix-falsetto" thing?

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Michael <chosdad@y...>"
<chosdad@y...> wrote:
> Dear Jonas and List:
>
> --- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "razor8882003 >
> > These are things that i have alsready tried with my
> > teacher.However,nothing worked because sometimes i have throat
> > tension or when i actually overcome this tension my voice always
> > cracks in falsetto.
>
> It's been said, and I concur, that there are limits to the advice
one
> can give on a list like this.
>
> Fundamentally, do you trust your teacher? Are you making progress
> together? Are your expectations reasonable? Is your teacher
pleased
> with your progress but you are unhappy? Are you both frustrated?
>
> Sometimes a teacher is a wonderful teacher in general but he/she
just
> doesn't connect with a particular pupil. Teaching voice seems to
me
> to be a bit of an art - the teacher and student have to be
compatible.

> You should discuss these issues with your teacher. Somethings
take
> time. The approaches that work well for some people do not work
well
> for others - it is true. I have a light voice and what works for
my
> voice may not work for a heavier voice.
>
> Ultimately, since it is your voice, your life, your time, and your
> money, you have to decide. If after discussing these issues you
are
> still feeling uncomfortable about your teacher's ability to help
you
> with certain issues, you could consider finding another teacher.
>
> From the very little data I have available (basically zero) I
would
> guess your teacher is helping you but you feel unsatisfied with
your
> progress. As one who has "chipped away" at things for years, my
bias
> is to advise you to have a bit more patience. On the other hand,
> sometimes it is best to get a different teacher.
>
> For what it's worth...
>
> Michael Gordon

Dear Mr Gordon

First of all i have to say that:I'm very proud for my chest
voice/range.
Well,i always seemed to have a good voice.With lessons it became(of
course) much better.During a small period of time i learnt many
things and corrected many of my technical weaknesses.That's why i'm
happy with my teacher.However,i see that in this period,no matter
how much we both tried,i didn't even enter head voice.Many people
say to me:"What do you need this head voice staff?You're are a bass".
So what?Only tenors should have the abilty to have a wide range?
Iwould be happy if i could sing with ease until G4.This is
something that certainly can be achieved.(my teacher admitts that).
I have to say here that i love rock music.And i hear all these great
rock singers covering these incredible ranges.And most of them are
not even tenors but baritones.For rock music "head voice" and staff
are a "must".
Ok,i'm not asking hiting Tate's "full D5" but a G4"Is that too much?
Well,that's why i'm not happy with my teacher.

However,i am considering that.
There are specific exercises that help someone enter head voice.
These exercises are supposed to work for EVERYONE.
So,i'm thinking.What is going to change if i try finding another
teacher, when i can't execute even those simple exercises and have
ANY progress?

Thanks again.
Jonas

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date