Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Mon Feb 10, 2003  10:39 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Is there a "mix-falsetto" thing?

Dear Jonas and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "razor8882003 >
> These are things that i have alsready tried with my
> teacher.However,nothing worked because sometimes i have throat
> tension or when i actually overcome this tension my voice always
> cracks in falsetto.

It's been said, and I concur, that there are limits to the advice one
can give on a list like this.

Fundamentally, do you trust your teacher? Are you making progress
together? Are your expectations reasonable? Is your teacher pleased
with your progress but you are unhappy? Are you both frustrated?

Sometimes a teacher is a wonderful teacher in general but he/she just
doesn't connect with a particular pupil. Teaching voice seems to me
to be a bit of an art - the teacher and student have to be compatible.

You should discuss these issues with your teacher. Somethings take
time. The approaches that work well for some people do not work well
for others - it is true. I have a light voice and what works for my
voice may not work for a heavier voice.

Ultimately, since it is your voice, your life, your time, and your
money, you have to decide. If after discussing these issues you are
still feeling uncomfortable about your teacher's ability to help you
with certain issues, you could consider finding another teacher.

From the very little data I have available (basically zero) I would
guess your teacher is helping you but you feel unsatisfied with your
progress. As one who has "chipped away" at things for years, my bias
is to advise you to have a bit more patience. On the other hand,
sometimes it is best to get a different teacher.

For what it's worth...

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22549 Re: Is there a "mix-falsetto" thing?razor8882003 <decentefsci@h...>razor8882003 Mon  2/10/2003