Vocalist.org archive

From:  kurt felix <guy_3001@y...>
Date:  Mon Feb 10, 2003  4:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vibrato question

laura it was suggested to me by a teacher to try and
not to vibrato at all whenever possible as it is
detrimental to the health of your voice

She referred me to the vocal chords with the
similarity of strings on a guitar or violin, whenever
violinists created vibratos on their strings they wear
on it alot, causing them to usually break most of the
time after continued use... their strings can be
replaced but our "strings" we have for life.

Also the machine affect you're talking bout is what
vibrato actually does, experts usually complain of the
loss of the sound of true pitches with these vibratos,

so the best advice i can give you as i was given, is
to not try to create vibrato in places you dont need
to, just let your vocal chords create the vibrato when
they can(natural vibrato), and try to improve on your
vocal control in sustaining a smooth pitch rather than
a sound of fluctuating pitch, doesnt sound good at all
in my opinion.

--- Laura M <cprcrnsongbird@h...> wrote:

---------------------------------
I am afraid I don't know any exercises for vibrato.

I do have a question about vibrato as well though. I
have frequently heard
singers who's vibrato sounds more like a machine gun
than the voice. Is
this type of vibrato natural and healthy? Is there
any way to alter this
type of vibrato so that it sounds less like a machine
gun?

Just curious. :-)
Laura

Terms of Service.