Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Sat Feb 8, 2003  3:19 pm
Subject:  Re: Good Summer Programs? HELP!

Audrey asked about several programs, including the Seagle Colony. I
don't have direct experience with the others but I was a student at
the Seagle Colony several years ago (when Stan and Eileen Cornett
were running it) and loved it. I returned to sing on a benefit
concert more recently (at the invitation of Darren Keith Woods, who
now runs the program) and it was exciting to see the ways that the
tradition is continuing and growing.

My experience as a student was wonderful: most of my colleagues were
upper-level undergraduates and graduate students, and the level of
performance was quite high. We functioned as a repertory company and
there was little negative competition among us. With several shows
over the summer (I think they do at least 4 now!) the work was spread
around really equitably.

When I was there, we all pitched in to keep the place running. Not a
lot of work or hard work, just things like washing the dishes,
setting the table, etc. For me, that was a nice thing, as it created
a feeling of community.

The setting is beautiful -- mountains, a lake, lots of open space for
walking and thinking, wild raspberries growing on certain spots on
the property (for a price, I'll tell you where!). I found that the
setting was very conducive to artistic exploration. (Being in a
beautiful setting is artistically important to me.)

Darren Keith Woods, who was a member of this list for a while, is a
wonderfully energetic and creative administrator. He's a singer
himself and understands the business very well. He's also a
tremendously encouraging person who does his best to make everyone
feel valued & comfortable. I haven't been a student in the program
under him, but having met & worked with him in other contexts, I'm
sure I would have enjoyed that experience, had it been available to
me.

If you have other questions, Audrey, please feel free to contact me.
I hope this information helps you!
Naomi Gurt Lind
--
http://naomigurtlind.net