Vocalist.org archive

From:  "taylor23ferranti <taylor23f@h...
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  7:14 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Pavarotti Mezzo Falso

Lloyd wrote:

> If this is what some on the list call falsetto then it is obvious
why
> we have had such a difficult time coming to any conclusions about
> this subject.
>
> This Pavarotti sound clip is a classic example of head voice.

Dear Lloyd and List,

I could not agree more! Pav is not in any way, shape, or form using
his falsetto voice. He's using a light, and fully coordinated head-
tone in these passages. What is most striking about the example (I
own this recording and have been listening to it for years) is the
fact that since he sings so lightly he must round his voice off more
(sing a bit dark) to get the sound he's looking for. Essentially,
in singing so soft he must transition into the head voice earlier
than normal. This makes sense because all register events are
dictated by three essential qualities- pitch, vowel, and intensity.
However, in inducing the head-voice earlier he does not use the
falsetto at all.

If you listen to Jussi Bjoerling a lot you'll notice that when Jussi
wants to get the same kind of quality he induces the head-voice
earlier...like Pav. Granted, Pav has amazing control of the voice.
But, IMHO Jussi is the greatest model of tenor registration we've
heard to date.

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
Certificate of Vocology