Vocalist.org archive

From:  "katherine94040 <modulate58@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  4:29 pm
Subject:  RE: Chord closure problem

You must listen to what your teacher is telling you about this, but
as I read your post, your current condition is not necessarily a bad
thing. Some singers who do not have good upper voices need to work on
falsetto (some teachers call it upper register or head register). In
the beginning of developing this register, it can sound breathy or
hooty. The reason is that the vocal chords are >not< closing. That is
the way they work when you sing falsetto. They do not close. Singing
falsetto exercises part of the vocal muscles and singing chest voice
exercises another part. After the falsetto gets strong it can be
an "equal partner" to the chest voice and they can work together to
make that beautiful thing we all call head voice. I am way over-
simplifying and omitting the details, but that is the general idea.
I suggest you do some reading up on how the voice works from a
physiological standpoint. It may help answer your concerns. There are
many good texts on this subject but they take some committment as
they are not always easy to read.
Hang in there
Katherine

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22470 Re: Chord closure problemrazor8882003 <decentefsci@h...>razor8882003 Fri  2/7/2003
22475 Re: Chord closure problemColin Reedcolinreeduk Fri  2/7/2003
emusic.com