Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  9:05 am
Subject:  Re: Amateur opera companies in major cities

Naomi wrote:

> I'm not sure how we're defining "amateur" here.

I was thinking about companies where you either do not get paid (or
indeed pay for the priviledge) or where they may cover your travel
expenses, although I think of the latter being almost
"semi-professional".

London sounds pretty similar to the Bay Area. I can think of at least
5 amateur groups, and would probably get another 3-5 names by quereing
my friends. Most require you to pay a membership fee or are affiliated
with colleges where you end up registering for the specific class and
pay tuition.

Does anyone know how the situation looks like in continental Europe?

Ingo