Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Feb 5, 2003  10:12 am
Subject:  Re: RE: [vocalist] SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILY

Sharon Szymanski <szy@n...> wrote:
>Ed brings up a point that I have often wondered about. I have heard countless
folks advocate the dropping of the jaw for various reasons in singing but have
found personally, that this actually pulls me out of position and distorts the
vowel and tone. Instead, I prefer a sense of moving the jaw more toward the
back (creating a sense of "overbite")which seems to create more lift in the
palate and a nicer sense of space where I seem to need it for higher notes. Any
thoughts on this from the peanut gallery?

I think this is an example of the sort of thing that's different for individual
singers, and the feedback of a teacher is helpful as to whether the dropped jaw
is working as hoped. In my case, a relaxed jaw-drop is helpful. But before I
figured out how to do that, I'd hold my jaw open, which added tension, and
didn't do any good. I now go for a "dog-face" feeling when I drop my jaw, which
I think is similar to Sharon's "overbite" idea. (Before I studied voice, I
thought singers were crazy, the way they talked!)

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22417 Re: SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILYlestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Wed  2/5/2003
emusic.com