Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Wed Feb 5, 2003  1:41 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILY

-----Hi, Steve and Listers:
I've always found that dropping the jaw on the approach to the high note
and, of course, on that high note itself, will make the note seem more
easy to sing. The listener will also get the feeling that you aren't
working your butt off to get it, too!-----
Ed

Ed brings up a point that I have often wondered about. I have heard
countless folks advocate the dropping of the jaw for various reasons in
singing but have found personally, that this actually pulls me out of
position and distorts the vowel and tone. Instead, I prefer a sense of
moving the jaw more toward the back (creating a sense of
"overbite")which seems to create more lift in the palate and a nicer
sense of space where I seem to need it for higher notes. Any thoughts
on this from the peanut gallery?

Sharon Szymanski

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22390 Re: SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILYEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Tue  2/4/2003
22421 Jaw Dropping WAS: SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILYTako Oda <toda@m...>takooda Wed  2/5/2003
22397 Re: SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILYJamestranquil2404 Wed  2/5/2003
emusic.com