Vocalist.org archive

From:  thesinatraguy@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 4, 2003  3:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] seeking song selection advice

In a message dated 2/4/2003 7:28:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
specielekk8@y... writes:

> Hi everyone.
>
> In about a month, I am auditioning for a summer opera
> program at Oberlin. The thing is, I am having little
> trouble deciding on what pieces to put on my audition
> tape. So far, I've narrowed it down to O del Mio
> Amato Ben, The Sun Whose Rays from the Mikado, Love
> has Eyes by Benjamin Britten and Welche Wonne Welche
> Lust.
>
> I'm in high school and my voice is still developing
> and I was wondering if any of these pieces would be
> harmful or too difficult for my voice at this time in
> my life. I know picking songs to sing should be based
> on my comfort level, but it'd still be great to get
> other opinions on which songs would contrast each
> other the best and which would be the most impressive.
> Thanks alot!
>
> Katherine Parker
> Chicago

Hi Katherine,

I will give you some great advice. Always pick songs that you
can sing the living daylights out of. The biggest mistake a singer
can make is to pick songs to show off that are too hard for them.
If you pick something too hard or that is not right for your voice,
then at the most you will be average.

Good luck,

Steve

emusic.com