Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 4, 2003  4:43 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Baritone/Tenor question

I agree with your statements. I just feel that although a voice may be
baritonal, shouldn't one be able to perform using sensible i.e. healthy
high
notes as well? I do appreciate your advice and response.

Thanks,
Rick

I have a 44 year old baritone in my studio who is able to vocalize
nicely (usable tones)up to a high C any day of the week. Do we pick
rep. that keeps him up there constantly? No, I doubt he'd enjoy that!
But is enabling him to do a Stephen Foster's "If You Only Have a
Mustache" for NATS in a tenor key, which is the only key for which we've
been able to locate music.
It also helps when he wants to sing some musical theater rep. which lies
partly in tenor land.

I routinely vocalize my male singers as high as is comfortable (and use
falsetto to help developing ease in high register, as I've noted on
another thread) and also work on bringing my sopranos of every age down
into the low register to develop and strengthen that part of the voice
as well.

Sharon Szymanski

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22366 Re: Baritone/Tenor questionlestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Tue  2/4/2003