Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Mon Feb 3, 2003  6:28 pm
Subject:  Counting Octaves,was Carey 7 Octave

Dear List:

Let's suppose that Mariah Carey can make sounds from A2 to G7#. I'm
not sure how good much of that range is, but I guess that's not the
point here...

I would comment that from A2 to G7# is basically 5 octaves.

If C6 is soprano high C, then G6 is a fifth above, and G7 an octave
above. That's pretty high for sure.

A2 to me means the A below C3, which is the C below middle C (C4) -
A2 is a note many tenors can sing with quality, and is within the
expected performance range of a baritone. It is not a remarkably low
note, even for a female, and I have had at least female teachers who
can sing an A2 - they were light soprano and lyric-mezzo,
respectively, and their voices were not unusually low. Note - I am
not claiming these women had rich baritonal low ranges, merely that
they could make a sound in that range.

Now, one note below A2 is G2, and from G2 to G7 is 5 octaves. So I
don't know where the "7 octave" nonsense comes from.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22344 Re: Counting Octaves,was Carey 7 OctaveJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Mon  2/3/2003
22346 Re: Counting Octaves,was Carey 7 OctaveMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Mon  2/3/2003
22351 Re: Counting Octaves,was Carey 7 OctaveColin Reedcolin_reeduk Mon  2/3/2003
emusic.com