Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sun Feb 2, 2003  10:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Question

But the most important thing is "Can you sing the rep?" I would never say
"Callas was great because it says somewhere in a book that she had THIS big
a range". I would say that her persona on stage, her phrasing, her tone,
her communication with the audience and many more things are what made her a
great performer. So, if someone reads that Mariah Carey can actually
physically sing lower than you can hear, and also songs purely for dogs to
listen to, then fair enough if that's how they want to judge someone.
Personally I'd rather use my ears.

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK