Vocalist.org archive

From:  Earl Presley <egpburk@s...>
Date:  Sun Feb 2, 2003  7:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Question

Range has always been part of the criteria for vocal catagorization. Tessatura
is probably more important than range, but the great ranges of Minnie Riperton,
Mariah Carey, and for that matter Sills and Calas separate them from their
competition and allow them to do repertoire that others find difficult if not
impossible. So to answer the question "who cares?" - everyone does. It is
reflected in audience participation everywhere. Countertenors, coloraturas,
whistleregisters - all intrigue us as singers, teachers, and audiences alike.
Earl Presley, MM, MTS, BME
LYNDA313@a... wrote:In a message dated 2/2/2003 1:15:08 PM Eastern Standard
Time,
johnlink@n... writes:

> I'd like to know who is doing the crediting. It is absurd to believe
> that Mariah Carey, or anyone, for that matter, could posses a range
> greater than the piano.

I know it must sound flip, but honestly, who cares how super-wide a range is?
If a voice is beautiful, expressive, healthy and flexible, having 3 or 4, or
8 (!) octaves is great...if it is harsh or inflexible or unhealthy, even the
widest range is not something I want to hear in a performer. Just my gut
reaction to the topic. I know some may be impressed from a scientific
standpoint, but I'm not in that group.

Lynda Lacy-Boltz
Raleigh NC

emusic.com