Vocalist.org archive

From:  "nexxxxt <nexxxxt@y...
Date:  Sun Feb 2, 2003  8:11 am
Subject:  Question

Hey everyone.

This is the first time I post. I'm from Los Angeles. Singer (in
training).

I don't know what the 'group' opinion is of Mariah Carey's voice but
I read this
on a Mariah website today. If it's true... just wow and hats of to
Ms. Carey but
somehow to me it doesn't sound accurate. Can anyone explain if it's
possible,
etc...

"In the latest edition of The Guinness Book of World Records, set for
a March
2003 release date, pop-diva MARIAH CAREY scores still another title.
According to Guinness officials, the siren's ethereal pipes hold the
record for
having hit the highest note in the history of recorded music. In a
live rendition
of "The Star-Spangled Banner" last year, Mariah hit a G7#-note,
outdoing
even the piano. Technically, the exertion of G7#-notes is "dolphin
speak,"
since, in theory, these are the only mammals physiologically equipped
with
the proper lung-structure to produce G7#-notes. So powerful are
G7#-notes
that these are capable of countering water and electric currents, and
have
even been known to outdistance space and range. In the world, Carey
is the
only other living creature to have ever generated a G7#-note.
Clinically,
Mariah's voice is termed a medical wonder. But the "altisisima" Carey
is no
stranger to the Guinness Book, as the songbird is titleholder to
dozen other
titles. Correlating to Carey's latest record, in a back edition
of the Guinness
Book, Carey is credited with possessing a 7-octave range, meaning she
is
able to go from an A2 (eight full-scaled keys below the lowest
possible note
on a piano) to a G7#-note without deviating from perfect pitch and
all in the
time-span of one breath. Behind vocal wonder Carey, who still goes un-
championed, are Yma Sumac, ringing in at 5 octaves, and the late
Minnie
Riperton, with 4.5 octaves.
BBC News"

Can someone enlighten me about ranges? male/female? largest? etc... I
would really appreciate it. I'm able to sing four octaves mixing both
chest
"regular voice" and falsetto. Is this nothing?

Thanks.

Rob.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22322 Re: QuestionJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Sun  2/2/2003
22352 Double Counting, was Re: QuestionMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Mon  2/3/2003
22364 Double Counting, was Re: Questionlestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Tue  2/4/2003
22379 Double Counting, was Re: QuestionMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Tue  2/4/2003
22375 Double Counting, was Re: QuestionTako Oda <toda@m...>takooda Tue  2/4/2003