Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 7, 2000  2:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Christmas program

In a message dated 06/04/2000 6:02:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
jennibri@i... writes:

<< Every year, my church does a program where well known songs (e.g. O Holy
Night, Christmas carols - allows for occasional audience participation if
desired, songs from Messiah, etc.) are interspersed with readings from the
Bible (mostly ones regarding the birth of Christ) and occasionally poetry or
stories that go along with the theme. The songs are placed as much as
possible following a reading along the same lines. >>

We call this the service of Lessons and Carols. It is done often in the
Episcopal church. Look at Hal Hopson's new Christmas work titled FESTIVAL OF
LESSONS AND CAROLS. It is beautiful, uses beautiful of not very well known
carols, and has the readings provided. SATB, not very hard but challenging
enough.

Leslie

emusic.com