Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda <toda@m...
Date:  Thu Jan 30, 2003  5:13 pm
Subject:  Re: Voice analysis / spectral analysis

Dear Peter,

Try Praat. You can download it for free at www.praat.org it can do
very advanced things, but it's not flashy.

If you don't mind paying for some great easy to use software, try
CoolEdit Pro made by Syntrillium.

For an EXCELLENT book (but kinda thick, both literally and poetically
speaking) try: Curtis Roads' "The computer music tutorial" Cambridge,
MIT Press. It covers the Fourier angle of spectral analysis and
various algorithms.

By the way, I am intrigued by your project! I am working on study
using countertenors, and am also very interested in what happens
during the change of voice. If you'd like more info, feel free to
email me privately: my email address is toda, and the domain is @
mills.edu. (I'm splitting that up so bots don't get it)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Tako Oda

In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Peter B North"
<peterbnorth@p...> wrote:

> Hi
> I wonder if anyone can help?
> I want to find out more about spectral anaylsis of the singing
voice. Can anyone recommend some good books, websites etc.or even
some software?

> At the moment, I'm using some called 'In Tune' and it seems to be
working well but i'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

> I'm particularly interested in charting boys adolescent voices as
they change. My main work is with boys between the age of 7 and 18
yrs of age.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Peter B North
>
> Ely