Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Jan 30, 2003  2:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)

Dear Les and Vocalists:

You wrote:
"Vulgarity is in its heyday. I suspect that audiences care more about
watching some scantily clad person shake her or his bootay than pay
one iota of attention to the content of what they are singing."

"What are people going to do when there are no "real" musicians left
because it's all being synthesized in a studio and no one knows how
to make it fit for consumption live?"

COMMETNT: Amen, and lets all say Amen.

And finally you wrote:
"All is not lost. On NPR the other day, I was surprised to learn that
the fastest growing segment of opera lovers are twenty-somethings!
That's right! The President of Opera America credited it to
supertitles of all things."

The same president of Opera America said that what we need more of is
"disposable opera" so we do not have to concern ourselves with the
idea of a lasting or artistically important additional creative
process/product with which to encumber the busy, un-attentive world.

I am thankful for discussion groups such as this and the desire of
its members to keep the creative juices flowing and the "importance"
of art foremost. When one considers the remnants of all former
civilizations it is their art that tells us the most about who they
were.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22264 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Thu  1/30/2003
22275 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)Karen Mercedessingwiththespirit Thu  1/30/2003
22277 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Thu  1/30/2003
emusic.com