Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Jan 29, 2003  6:54 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Hyperthyroidism medication and voice

NOT being treated is more likely to hurt your voice. An overactive thyroid
can affect the muscles that control the folds.

OTOH, overtreatment of hyperthyroidism results in hypothyroidism but that is
easily treated with thyroid replacement.

The overwhelming majority of cases of hyperthyroidism are due to immune
stimulation of the gland. Occasionally one will have a single nodule that
is hyperfunctioning - these are rarely cancer. There are two ways to
medically treat the condition: meds that inhibit the production of thyroid
hormone or radioactive iodine. The former is used in women in particular
when they want avoid radioactive chemicals until after their childbearing
years. There is no good evidence this is necessary, but there is no good
evidence it is completely safe either. Many cases of hyperthyroidism clear
up on their own, but can recur. Radioactive iodine destroys part of the
gland, reducing the overfunctioning. Commonly one becomes hypothyroid later
and needs thyroid replacement medication. This requires periodic rechecks
to be sure the right dose is being used but is quite safe if used properly
and under a doctor's care.

Surgery used to be used but the complication rate is a little too high so
it's rarely used now.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com