Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Wed Jun 7, 2000  8:29 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] REP: Sop/Mezzo/Tenor trios

Vicki Bryant wrote:

> Anyway, I need some ideas. I will be putting together a recital with
> two friends; one is a lyric soprano, one is a lyric tenor, and I am a
> lyric mezzo-soprano. All of us are comfortable with Mozart, Bach,
> Rossini, and similar weight material. We'd like to present at least
> one trio, and would like as many options as possible, hoping that
> perhaps the trio we choose will help us choose a theme. (This is the
> very beginning planning stage!) I checked the archives and couldn't
> find anything for our combinations of voices. Does anybody have any
> ideas? All suggestions are appreciated.

Try "A man that would woo a fair maid" from The Yeomen of the Guard
(Sullivan) - Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor. Solo verses for each singer in turn
(it's about how to flirt!) and a very engaging refrain for chorus.

Isn't refrain a strange word? In one context it means "don't do this",
and in another it means "everyone do this bit". So when you see
"refrain" in this music, don't. Don't refrain, that is. I mean, do the
refrain. Aaagh, I can't find my way out of this one...
--
Linda Fox, Cambridge, UK

emusic.com