Vocalist.org archive

From:  kriswrite@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 28, 2003  7:40 pm
Subject:  RE: Sherrill Milnes healing advice

You're allowed to disagree with me :)

But there is *no* reason anyone should have to abuse their voice...I don't
care what kind of music they sing. I have personally sung two of the most
"trying" sorts of music: opera and high belting, and have never had any
problems with vocal fatigue or "wear and tear." Again, if your technique is
solid, you shouldn't run into any problems.

Now, if you are on tour, singing for many hours every night, I can conceive
of running into vocal fatigue problems. But I believe that if singers
gradually build up their singing, they will find they run into few fatigue
problems (as long as they get plenty of rest and are otherwise in good
health). A runner doesn't start by running a marathon; they begin with much
shorter runs. I believe that everyone's instrument is a little different in
this respect, so I can say that not all singers are "built" for the
three-four hour gig every night. But anyone should be able to get through an
average performance schedule (such as you would have if you were in an opera
or Broadway musical).

Kristina
Kristina's Vocal Studio
Singing tips, advice, and more